Friday, May 30, 2008

I will not eat the bread of idleness.

A Wife of Noble Character

10
[c] A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


I'm taking one step at a time, and today I will not eat the bread of idleness. I will busy myself with the things I should be doing and face my responsibilities head on. I will use my mouth to pray for others and train my child and not as a portal for food to bury my feelings of shortcoming. His grace is sufficient for me, and today I lean on that grace and not my own strength. And today I will not eat the bread of idleness.

1 comment:

Susan Beth said...

I know you were not idle. And I love that passage. I know it is intimidating, but I find it is also very inspiring. God wouldn't put it in there if he didn't know it was appropriate to recognize the goodness of this woman and try to emulate her. I always assumed she could spell better than I, and so she probably would know if "emulate" is properly spelled.